CEQD v1.0 An MFC class to support retrieval
of recent Earthquake data from the USGS (Obsolete)
The class provides for retrieval of recent Earthquake information from the USGS
(United States Geological Survey) via the finger protocol.
- Simple and clean C++ interface.
- The interface provided is synchronous which provides an easier programming
model than using asynchronous sockets.
- The code does not rely on the MFC socket classes. These classes have a number
of shortcomings, one of which causes problems when they are used in NT services.
- The code can be used in a console application without any problems (Again
this is not the case for the MFC socket classes).
- A configurable timeout for the connection can be set through the main class
The enclosed zip file contains the CEQD source
code and a simple console program which exercises the class.
- You are allowed to include the source code in any product (commercial, shareware,
freeware or otherwise) when your product is released in binary form.
- You are allowed to modify the source code in any way you want except you
cannot modify the copyright details at the top of each module.
- If you want to distribute source code with your application, then you are
only allowed to distribute versions released by the author. This is to maintain
a single distribution point for the source code.
20 December 2005
- Please note that this code is now obsolete because the USGS no longer provide
the finger service which this code depends on. If you want to obtain earthquake
information for your application, I would suggest that your code download and
as a replacement for my code. You can use the Wininet or WinHHTP APIs to accomplish
this. Thanks to Sam Hobbs for reporting this. If enough people request a replacement
for CEQD, then I may consider writing a replacement class.
V1.0 (18 October 1999)