v1.07 An application to monitor your POP3 mailbox
To use the program simply run the PopWatch executable and it will minimize to
the tray notification area. When the server is checked, the icon in the tray notification
area will be changed to indicate if there is some mail in your mailbox. The tooltip
associated with the icon will also be changed to indicate the number of emails waiting
and the total size in Kilobytes of all the emails.
The enclosed zip file contains the PopWatch
program, its help file and its source code. You will need the MFC DLL's already
installed on your machine. If you haven't already got them on your machine (MFC42.DLL
in your Windows system directory), then grab them from
For further information on the POP3 class the PopWatch code uses, please refer to
the CPop3Connection page
- You are allowed to include the source code in any product (commercial, shareware,
freeware or otherwise) when your product is released in binary form.
- You are allowed to modify the source code in any way you want except you
cannot modify the copyright details at the top of each module.
- If you want to distribute source code with your application, then you are
only allowed to distribute versions released by the author. This is to maintain
a single distribution point for the source code.
29 January 2017
- Please note that I have not worked on this code in many years and is considered
obsolete. A program I would suggest as an alternative is
V1.07 (16 April 2005)
- Now uses v1.35 of my POP3 class.
- Now uses v1.51 of my CRasMonitor class.
- Now uses v1.49 of my CTrayNotifyIcon class.
- Now uses v1.08 of my CHookWnd class.
- Now uses v1.07 of my CPDH class.
- Now uses v1.17 of my DDXFile code.
- Application now includes an XP Manifest.
- Port to connect to POP3 server can now be customized.
- Now supports connection to POP3 servers which require SSL e.g. GMail. Thanks
to Paul Duggan for suggesting this nice addition.
- An account can now be temporarily excluded from the check by marking it
- Tray tooltip text is now updated as each account is being checked.
V1.06 (24 June 2002)
- Moved application to Visual C++ v6.
- Provided missing mneumonics in the general settings and account dialogs.
- Fixed a logic bug where the tooltip was saying "0 error(s)" when
in fact it was successful.
- Fixed a bug where the ordering of the accounts in the settings dialog could
get out of sync when new items were added. Thanks to John Craig for spotting
V1.05 (23 June 2002)
- Now supports checking multiple POP3 accounts. Thanks to Markus Loibl for
- Passwords for the POP3 accounts are now stored encrypted. Thanks to Markus
Loibl for this suggestion.
- Nows use v1.25 of my POP3 class.
- Now uses v1.5 of my CRasMonitor class.
- Now uses v1.45 of my CTrayNotifyIcon class.
- Now uses v1.06 of my CPDH class.
- Now allows a program to be run when mail has arrived. Thanks to Markus Loibl
for this suggestion.
- Now can play a sound file when mail has arrived. Thanks to Markus Loibl
for this suggestion.
V1.04 (27 July 2001)
- Now uses v1.22 of my POP3 class.
- Tray Icon is changed when mail is being checked.
- Fixed a bug which was keeping the "Only Check Server when Modem is
connected" option from working.
V1.03 (13 June 2001)
- Now includes a Check Now option. Thanks to Nick Hundley and "prapp"
for this nice addition.
- PopWatch code now correctly builds if you choose to use the "Static
MFC" option. Thanks to Bui Huy Kien for spotting this.
- Now uses v1.43 of my CRasMonitor class.
- Now uses v1.43 of my CTrayNotifyIcon class.
- Now uses v1.05 of my CPDH class.
- Now supports Win2k Balloon Style tooltips.
V1.02 (26 March 2000)
- Full source code for the project is now included.
- Now uses v1.20 of my POP3 class.
- Now uses v1.41 of my CRasMonitor class (which itself requires a number of
my other projects).
V1.01 (22 February 1999)
- Now uses v1.12 of my POP3 class.
V1.0 (6 January 1999)