PopWatch v1.07 An application
to monitor your POP3 mailbox
To use the program simply run the PopWatch
executable and it will minimize to the tray notification area. When
the server is checked, the icon in the tray notification area will be changed to indicate
if there is some mail in your mailbox. The tooltip associated with the icon will also be
changed to indicate the number of emails waiting and the total size in Kilobytes of all
- You are allowed to include the source code in
any product (commercial, shareware, freeware or otherwise) when your product
is released in binary form.
- You are allowed to modify the source code in
any way you want except you cannot modify the copyright details at the top
of each module.
- If you want to distribute source code with
your application, then you are only allowed to distribute versions released
by the author. This is to maintain a single distribution point for the
V1.0 (6 January 1999)
V1.01 (22 February 1999)
- Now uses v1.12 of my POP3 class.
V1.02 (26 March 2000)
- Full source code for the project is now included.
- Now uses v1.20 of my POP3 class.
- Now uses v1.41 of my CRasMonitor class (which itself
requires a number of my other projects).
V1.03 (13 June 2001)
- Now includes a Check Now option. Thanks to Nick Hundley
and "prapp" for this nice addition.
- PopWatch code now correctly builds if you choose to use
the "Static MFC" option. Thanks to Bui Huy Kien for spotting this.
- Now uses v1.43 of my CRasMonitor class.
- Now uses v1.43 of my CTrayNotifyIcon class.
- Now uses v1.05 of my CPDH class.
- Now supports Win2k Balloon Style tooltips.
V1.04 (27 July 2001)
- Now uses v1.22 of my POP3 class.
- Tray Icon is changed when mail is being checked.
- Fixed a bug which was keeping the "Only Check
Server when Modem is connected" option from working.
V1.05 (23 June 2002)
- Now supports checking multiple POP3 accounts. Thanks to
Markus Loibl for this suggestion.
- Passwords for the POP3 accounts are now stored
encrypted. Thanks to Markus Loibl for this suggestion.
- Nows use v1.25 of my POP3 class.
- Now uses v1.5 of my CRasMonitor class.
- Now uses v1.45 of my CTrayNotifyIcon class.
- Now uses v1.06 of my CPDH class.
- Now allows a program to be run when mail has arrived.
Thanks to Markus Loibl for this suggestion.
- Now can play a sound file when mail has arrived. Thanks
to Markus Loibl for this suggestion.
V1.06 (24 June 2002)
- Moved application to Visual C++ v6.
- Provided missing mneumonics in the general settings and
- Fixed a logic bug where the tooltip was saying "0
error(s)" when in fact it was successful.
- Fixed a bug where the ordering of the accounts in the
settings dialog could get out of sync when new items were added. Thanks to
John Craig for spotting this.
V1.07 (16 April 2005)
- Now uses v1.35 of my POP3 class.
- Now uses v1.51 of my CRasMonitor class.
- Now uses v1.49 of my CTrayNotifyIcon class.
- Now uses v1.08 of my CHookWnd class.
- Now uses v1.07 of my CPDH class.
- Now uses v1.17 of my DDXFile code.
- Application now includes an XP Manifest.
- Port to connect to POP3 server can now be customized.
- Now supports connection to POP3 servers which require
SSL e.g. GMail. Thanks to Paul Duggan for suggesting this nice addition.
- An account can now be temporarily excluded from the
check by marking it as "disabled".
- Tray tooltip text is now updated as each account is
29 January 2017
- Please note that I have not worked on this code in many years and is
considered obsolete. A program I would suggest as an alternative is
The enclosed zip file contains the
PopWatch program, its help file and its source code. You will need the MFC DLL's
already installed on your machine. If you haven't already got them on your
machine (MFC42.DLL in your Windows system directory), then grab them from
For further information on the POP3 class the PopWatch code uses, please refer to the CPop3Connection